Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
512g dried macaroni pasta
1 whole egg (beaten)
4 tablespoons butter
32g plain flour
850 oz whole milk
2 teaspoons dry mustard
As much grated cheese as you desire
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional spices: cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme
1. Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pan. Drain.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg.
3. In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over a medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes. whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn!
4. Pour in milk, add mustard and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
5. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the eggs. Whisk together until smooth.
6. Pour egg mixture into sauce whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
7. Add in cheese and stir to melt.
8. Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed. Do not undersalt.
9. Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
10. Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.